WELCOME

Thanks for visiting my blog. It's rather flattering to have someone read your minds meanderings. I hope it's entertaining and sometimes educational.

Friday, February 17, 2012

Training inside flanks

Darn it's muddy here today but warm and I can't complain or is it I can't stop complaining. Not sure which.  

I worked Dare first today because he was going to jump the fence to get to  me if I didn't.  He jumped onto the calf pen and over the cattle panel as  it was to get to me.  So I put him by himself in the control pen with 3 goats and he worked them with me on the outside which I do frequently but today I had some goals. I wanted to make sure that he would take the OUT correctly no matter where I was  or where the goats were. It took some convincing and redirecting but he got it.  I also insisted he back up when I ask and square his short flanks too. That will take some more work, but he is getting better. He is SO much better at not blowing into the pressure when I walk him into the stock in the corner. I can walk him right up to them and still ask him to flank around them and take them off the fence. I'm still pretty close working in this pen though. I need to do it from 100ft min away.

Dually did the same exercise but we worked on flanking him all the way around which he didn't want to do. He tends to fall into fetch mode and I wanted him to continue the flank. So to fix that I stopped him and gave him and out and a flank at the same time and he was much better.  I only did short flank when the livestock was right in front of me and he had to come into me to get behind them.  His short flanks with me behind him are a work in progress.
\
I am happy with both dogs today and Dare (because he was worked a bit) has not jumped out of the dog kennel since I put him up 2 hrs ago.  There is still time though.

No comments:

Post a Comment