WELCOME

Thanks for visiting my blog. It's rather flattering to have someone read your minds meanderings. I hope it's entertaining and sometimes educational.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Lambs go to auction

I had to get up early today and get the lambs to auction before my first lesson at noon and of course I had no idea how long stuff was going to take so I got up at 6am. I was outside sorting sheep at 7. Dare was a big big help this morning. No stupid stuff from him. We had to put the lambs and ewes together for one last time and then after 1/2 hr or so I had to sort everybody.I sorted the lambs and goats into the take pen and then I sorted the lambs I wanted into the barnyard. They I had to move all the lambs leftover back into the upper pasture. After that I went out and hooked up the trailer. You have to be perfect with this trailer or you have to keep moving the car. I was perfect the first time Whooo whooo. I backed the trailer up to the pasture gate and that seemed to take a while because in spite of the many times I have backed up a trailer was was having issues. Finally got it backed up into the mud pile and lowered the tailgate. I put fence pieces on each side so the animals didn't escape. then I walked thru the gates and forgot to put them back up and went to get the sheepies. Dare very gently manipulated the lambs and BB down the the trailer ramp and we stood there and were very patient. BB was very nervous(surprise surprise).The lambs waalked in first and BB saw he could get around the trailer so he did. AGHHHH. I sent Dare to get him and the lambs left the trailer. AGHHH. Okk, Dare went and got them again and again we were patient and this time the lambs went in slowly and BB decided to follow and Dare held them in there while I closed the tailgate. I put Dare up and off I went. It took me less than an hr to get there. I dropped everybody off and came home. I felt a little bad about BB. He has been on the farm a lot of years. He was not getting any easier to handle and I was afraid some student might get hurt by him at a gate so bye bye BB. Then I had Lessons from 12 till 5. Debbie helped me before she left put up a new section of fence and I came in for dinner, but I have to go back out and fight with a hay bale so the cows have something to eat tonight. Geez I went out at 7pm and got back in after dark at 8:15 . I really had to fight with the tractor and the hay bale and the dark. And then when I walked back to the house, I had a ewe out trying to get to her lamb and she had gone around the house and got stuck between the dog yard and the upper pasture. Dare to the rescue. I got him out to draw the lambs to the front of the house and the ewe followed and then Dare and I picked her up and brought her out back to where she belongs. Bed soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment