WELCOME

Thanks for visiting my blog. It's rather flattering to have someone read your minds meanderings. I hope it's entertaining and sometimes educational.

Monday, April 21, 2014

Training

Betty and I left for NY at 8:15 this morning to have a lesson with Barb Armata. We have worked with her before and she is fun and kind and a good teacher. She has nice stock and the field is huge. Dare worked first and he was slow and careful and totally not his usual self. I worked each dog twice and he did loosen up a bit but not that much. We tried some distance driving and he drove a group about 100 yrds away but then he couldn't take it anymore and brought them back to me. He did hold the line well himself and generally did a good job. Dually lost the sheep up the far end of the pasture and had to go get them twice.First I sent him on a go bye and he went all the way up but came in really tight at the top but didn't cross over. The 2nd time we sent him on the away side which was against the fence. It was 300 yrds and he kept stopping and looking back at me and I kept him going and he finally got up around them without crossing over and they started to run toward me. He couldn;t take it and ringed them, but then he brought them all the way down. He did have an issue with one lamb stopping so he went back to get it and he ran at it thinking of course it would move , but it didn't and he ran smack dab into it and then jumped over it and the lamb finally moved probably thought the dog was crazy and he needed to get out of there. Betty got it on tape but it might be too far away to see. I was pleased with both dogs and the day was perfect. the bugs started to come out just as we were leaving. It's a long ride . We didnt get home till 4 and then I had a minor cluster headache. that is the 3rd cluster this week and so far they have all been really minor. I took Dually out after dinner to work 4 of the younger cows who were feeling really good and ran all over the arena. I tried to work them, but finally put them in the small pen to calm them down and then took them out again and they worked better. Dually's tongue was hangin.

No comments:

Post a Comment