WELCOME

Thanks for visiting my blog. It's rather flattering to have someone read your minds meanderings. I hope it's entertaining and sometimes educational.

Sunday, November 1, 2015

goat pick up

   When I got up this morning, I hooked up the trailer and loaded all the dogs in the car, Dually rides shotgun now.  I'm not sure if he likes it or not, but at least he is not jumping over the crates to get in the back.  I drove down to Canterbury Ct to Wendy's to pick up 4 of her goats to take to Auction  along with 4 of my sheep this week.  The first thing Dually did was to jump  out of the car window to greet Wendy. Everything looks scary now.  I decided to try and use him to gather and sort the goats. Well the goats were light, really light and they ran this way and that and not in a group but all split up. Dually was willing but I was not.  I put  him in the car and took out Edge.  Edge had to do quite a bit of running inside the pasture just to get them to the gate to sort and then once outside they ran up the fenceline without their old lady leader.  I grabbed the old lady with a rope and sent him for the other 3. He wanted to work the old lady so I tied her to a fence and showed him where the other 3 were. He brought back one and had to go back for the other 2.  Then I was able to load the old lady  and 2 of the younger ones followed and one went off by himself.  So I had to stay in the trailer and keep the 3 in while Edge was sent to bring the other one to me.  He got it done.  He's a good boy.
      When I got them home, I put them in a stall and had to put a scrapie tag in them. Nobody got hurt. I let them out and had him sort the sheep so I could put tags in them. I got them in the stall and got 3 of them done and got to "Crazy Legs" and she was wild.  She ripped her ear open and then I quit.  I did not want to get hurt and I could feel  it coming. Hopefully they will help me at the auction.

      I worked Edge in the duck arena on the "new" beginner sheep group.  We drove them on the fenceline. He is so much better going the away direction. He holds the line by himself. So I guess I need to work  the go bye more.

     Kip and I worked too. He would not go into the take pen and let the goats out.  He still  won't so we will be doing that every darn day.  His corners are much better and his down is better and I am working his out.  I need to keep working on his biting. Alfred said the other dogs in the litter don't much like to bite. I told him that was not the case with Kip.  He was surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment