WELCOME

Thanks for visiting my blog. It's rather flattering to have someone read your minds meanderings. I hope it's entertaining and sometimes educational.

Friday, January 1, 2016

Goats yes

  I got invited out for New Years Eve and they said come early so I did.  While we were talking,I bemoaned the fact that I did not have any livestock yet. Gale said lets go see Bernie, who always has a bunch of sheep and goats. He did not have much left.  He did not have any sheep for sale but he sold me 1 adult doe and her kid, 1 doe less than a year and a pretty young buck probably less than a year too.

So this morning I loaded up a couple of crates and went to pick them up. The guy -Bernie the cuban cowboy  offered to let me use his trailer but that just would have been an extra trip for me so I decided to stuff them in crates. . When we got there, Bernie had not gathered them up or sorted them and he did not have a dog so it was an exercise in frustration.  good thing he does not have a dog probably because he used emus for protection and frankly I would not want my dog in with an emu. We start to load them and he decides he should worm them.  He works kinda slow so we waited again for him to get the worm meds and then he dropped the syringe and on and on.  FINALLY  we are loaded in on our way but in the meantime the nanny has pooped outside the crate and I had nothing under the crates to protect the car.  Well the other 2 peed in the airline crate so I guess I can't complain. Urine is harder to clean up.

  I drove right into the pasture and backed up to the barn but of course I have a lift back so one it lifts then there is not chute to get them in the stall. I had a borrowed gate on one side and the first goat came out "Oreo" and promptly pushed the gate over and started running.  I closed everybody else back in and fixed my system.  Oreo tried all the fences but did not succeed in escaping--YET.  I got everybody else in the stall and they are spooked by me boy.  I leave them alone for an hour and come back and Oreo is now in their vicinity.  I did not want everybody out tonight so I went in and tied the other ones in the barn and then opened the door and Oreo decided to go in.  Dually was there but didnt' have much to do.  So they are all in there tonight and have some hay and water and I think they are still trying to escape.  I heard climbing noises all afternoon.  They weren't cheap hopefully they will all be there in the morning.

I went out later and started to build my working pen.  I put in 6 posts lickety split. So easy down here.  The posts were on the fence edge supposedly keeping dogs from going under.  Not good posts but I think they will be ok for what I want.  Tomorrow I will get some wire and some gates.

No comments:

Post a Comment