WELCOME

Thanks for visiting my blog. It's rather flattering to have someone read your minds meanderings. I hope it's entertaining and sometimes educational.

Sunday, June 2, 2013

GEEz what a day-new cows

I left this am at 8:30 to drive to CT to pick up cows.  I thought I would ask him for 6 but when I got there, they were too big to fit 6 in my trailer so I stuck to the original  3..  They are about 400 to 600 lbs.  I'm not a good guesser.  They had them really halter broke so right on the edge of the road they led them in  and the cows walked right in the trailer like little troupers.  They were all facing forward so I was trying to think how to get them out when I got home but it was not an issue. When I dropped the ramp, they were all facing me and just stepped right out just as nice as could be.  Then to unhook the trailer.  Not too big of an issue but nothing ever goes right the first time.

I filled up their water tank which meant I had to drag hoses around while Dare was trying to work the cows.  I was just a little afraid that Edge would go under the gate like both DAre and Dually do now. But he either knows it's wrong or just hasn't caught on yet.  Of course , getting anything to the back pasture means 5 gates and I have to get out and open and close every darn one of them.  It's really a lot of work and today I will have to do it 3 times.  It would be nice to have a gate person and then somebody to unload of the crap I bought too. Ah well, how many more years can I do this?

Forgot to mention that while I was getting the water tank ready, I picked up a framework that I thought I needed to hold the water tank and as I was moving it I dropped it on my foot.  Holy Cow. big bruise and not sure I will be able to put shoes on for a while.

I went to Tractor Supply and bought a 100 gal water tank and 2 125# protein tubs and 400 lbs feed and a 50lb salt block  I just unloaded all of that .  I hooked up the flatbed trailer so I could run over  and buy a 1200 lb round bale.  I told him I would be there at 5 or 6 but I am going to go sooner just in case we get a thunderstorm.  Then when I get back I have to go thru 5 gates and then come back to the house and get the tractor, because although I can roll it off of the trailer, I can't move it after that and I want to be able to put it in a certain spot.  By then I am going to be exhausted. Tomorrow I have a bunch of lessons in the am followed by a trip out to Greenfield for my own lesson hopefully not in the extreme heat of the afternoon like today. At least it's windy out there.

I drove out of the driveway to get the hay and 3 miles down the road , I realized I did not have a plate on the trailer so I turned around and went back and then I had to take it off the horse trailer.  Normally, a simple job but one of the wingnuts froze since Ed put it on this morning WTH.  I had to go in and find 2 pliers, one to hold and one to loosen it.  Finally, I got it off and there was no plate hanger on the trailer. The storm was coming in and I decided to throw it in the car and take my chances.  Roland was all ready for me and we loaded it chatted a bit and then I came home to unload it which took no time to get it off the trailer and  then I had to re park the trailer and unhook it and  then get the tractor to go and move the hay bale.  I think the whole hay thing took me start to finish 3 hrs.  No wonder I am tired. The poor dogs got a lot of crate and indoor time today.  Wish I had my porch finished and could just turn them out again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment