WELCOME

Thanks for visiting my blog. It's rather flattering to have someone read your minds meanderings. I hope it's entertaining and sometimes educational.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Today's Near-death experience

   This was the first time I have ever thought there was a good chance I was going to die today.  I was on my way home from Maine this afternoon and I was 5 miles from home on the Mass Turnpike.  Tooling along at probably 75 in the high speed lane and I felt thump,thump thump really fast and I thought it was something I was driving over, so I decided to pull over but never had time.  And then all hell broke loose and it sounded like my rear fender was coming off.  I had a tire blow out, but luckily for me it was a rear tire.  If it had been a front tire, it would have been bad. scary bad.   I had a split second I thought to decide where to pull over and that was my error.  I pulled over to the left off the fast lane side.  I knew I had to get out  of there, but there was so much traffic that I couldn't move.  Nobody was slowing down at all. I pulled off as far as I could get but my tail end was still a little in the  lane. Nothing I could do about it but hope for the best. I was looking in the rear view mirror and calling 911 at the same time.  The state police got there  pronto and pulled up behind me, and told me I had to get over to the other side.  I must have blanched because he said no really you have to pull it over.  He put his lights on and pulled into the lane and the traffic slowed a little and I pulled in front of him on 3 tires and a rim and he helped me over to  the other side.  I got to tell you my hands were actually shaking and I don't get shook up very easily.  The reason it was so scary is that I had pulled over right after a rise in the road and the oncoming traffic couldn't see me until they were practically on top of me. I was lucky today.The Police couldn't believe no one had hit me.
   The turnpike truck came to change the tire, but because I  had all the dogs and crates and we probably couldn't get to them,  they called a flatbed for me.   The driver took me to a tire place which of course was farther than AAA would be free for.  The guy at the tire repair said 90% of these trucks have a problem with the spare tire cable and he might have to cut it so I opted for a new tire instead. $194. big tires.  And then the tire sensor was completely sheared off and that was an additional $111. And that he had to order so I have to go back tomorrow and get it.
     I was glad to finally get home and Dare flew out of the truck when I opened the back.  The tire was on his side and if I can get him back in the truck it will be a miracle. He hated to ride in it before and now it will probably be worse.

4 comments:

  1. Wow what a harrowing experience! I'm so glad to hear that you are safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, glad you and the dogs are okay. Kind of puts everyting else into perspective doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scary!! I am so glad you and the dogs are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am VERY glad that you guys are ok !!!

    ReplyDelete