WELCOME

Thanks for visiting my blog. It's rather flattering to have someone read your minds meanderings. I hope it's entertaining and sometimes educational.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Wing Wool and Hoof Hoosier trial


Wing Wool and Hoof Hoosier trial Day 1 April 16,2011

It’s over cast here and the wind is blowing the beat the band.  They have 3 arenas set up completely(big arenas )  . It sprinkled off and on all day but no downpours –but it really started to get cold this afternoon. 
   I will try and remember what happened as best as I can.  I remember Dare’s first cattle run because he was just wild. Running them and twirling them and not paying a lick of attention to anything I said.   Got kicked in that round but it didn’t faze him in the least. Becky B eckman was the judge for that run and we got a 57 and 4th place if that tells you anything.  There were probably 10 entries or so. 
   Dually went in  and promptly got kicked,jumped on and rolled and I carried him out. I thought he had broken a leg or had internal injuries.  He did a nice take pen and it went to hell from there.  W e were just going up the fenceline and they turned back and pissed him off I guess.   So as I said I carried him out and put him down and he limped around a bit.  I took him up to the trailer and gave him traumeel and arnica gel on his leg and we walked a little more and I took him down to the sheep arena and ran him.  He was not noticeably off.   Great take pen and nice control up the right side to panel one. Nice crossdrive and they  sorta ran thru 2 and then ran home.  I didn’t send him because I didn’t want to risk a grip.  Then we cornered them near the repen and had a little trouble getting him to get go so they would go back in the repen.   Rachel Vest judged that and we got a 90 but no placement.
 Then another cattle run with Dare.  A  Beautiful take pen  15/15, a picture perfect drive to panel 1 20/20 and then we had a nice cross drive but lost at at panel 2 , he went too deep to the fence and pulled them off before the panel and  then it went to  hell. No points on center obstacle and 5/10for repen.  Total score 70—shoulda coulda wouda
Dually is sleeping upside down in my bed right now. Should I try for a picture? Too late he moved.

Dually’s 2nd cattle run was much better. He was only a little subdued.   Under Rachel , 4th place 87.
Must have been a beautiful take pen we got 15/15.  16 on the panel 1 22 on crossdriveand panel 2k.14/20 on repen and all stock points.  Frankly there was a lot of adrenalin in my blood then and I don’t’ really remember much o f the run except he started to get a little wild again at the repen , but fortunately we were at the end and he didn’t’ have time to really wind up.  This may kill one of us.

Dually 2nd sheep run under Becky was an 89 and 3rd place.  I don’t remember the run at all.  Actually I am confusing both runs.  In one run he lost the sheep at panel 2 and they ran back and I didn’t’let him catch them and on the other run we controlled them all the way back.  Scores were very similar so …..
Ducks-

Dually got excused for trying to bit a recalcitrant duck who wouldn’t stay with the group. Dually doesn’t like that and then next round under Rachel – he got a 95  It was a really nice run and I was placed perfectly ((Gr)).
Dare had a really rough first go on ducks.  He had a set of khaki’s that  didn’t’ want to go in that direction.  We got an 81 (not worth talking about).He had a better run under Rachel 109 but no placement.  Ducks were more into it.
And I think that covers everything. 2 cattle,2 sheep and2 ducks runs for each dog and I held up and did okay. 
After awards it started to pour and the wind started up again. It’s blowing so hard sometimes I wonder if the trailer will just tip right over.  We’re a rocking .

So anyway Dually finished his Started Sheep ,cattle and duck  titles.
Day 2

Dare’s first cattle run , he never got them off the back fence.  2nd cattle run was almost as bad. Becky thank you’d us on his sheep run and I quit on his duck run because he couldn’t/wouldn’t push t he khaki’s up to the first panel.  We  tried and he is better than he was last year but still n ot there yet.

Dually’s first  cattle run was not good but I don’t’ remember it. His 2nd cattle run was pretty darn good. We got them up to the first panel and did the cross drive to panel 2 .  He got 1 thru panel 2 and they ran for home and I let them.  Repen was fine.  He was well off these cattle and they moved right along. It was a good group.
His duck run under  Rachel was near perfection. One bobble a t the 21nd panel . We recovered and went to repen.  It was fast and felt good.
Dually’s sheep run  was  a little pushy but we made it thru and I’m sure it was a Q

We have 2 sheep runs and 2 duck runs left . one for each.

Dare’s next sheep run was really nice.  I had a little trouble getting them started and up to panel 1 B course and then they got stalled behind the panel so  I called him back to me and reflanked him ala Rachel’s suggestion yesterday.  They went right across to 2 but then cut in front of it so I had to daylight and again called him back to me and reflanked him go bye he took and got them thru but wouldn’t continue it and cam out and caught them on the away to me.  He stayed off the center pen and those damn sheep just walked right in.  Yahoo.  Kinda lost them on the way back to the repen but that’s ok. Rachel is judging .

Dually sheep  run is next. Thank goodness this day is almost over. I am starting to get  really tired. There is a campground close by and I am going  to spend the night there and regroup before I head north. Hopefully wifi and I can post t  this.

Dare had another horrible duck run. I crossed the line and did  aSTD routine to get the damn ducks around.  Again he wouldn’t push same old same old.
Dually had a stellar duck run.  We accidentally got the Adv ducks and it worked in our favor.
Dually couldn’t handle the sheep on his last run.  We didn ‘t get excused but we got moved to the repen. We had a lamb that would not stay with the other 2 sheep.  Oh well. It’s over . 
 

2 comments:

  1. Diane, it was nice to meet you at the trial. I was so thankful that your dog was not seriously hurt. It was very scary to watch. I can't imagine how you must have felt. But, the dog did come back right away with a VERY nice sheep run. Donna Marsh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn I wish I was there with you although I'm used to Dare under the cattle but Dually would have given me a heart attack. Maybe next time Ed's say point the way and he'll take me there we know he is dying to use the new camper.

    ReplyDelete