WELCOME

Thanks for visiting my blog. It's rather flattering to have someone read your minds meanderings. I hope it's entertaining and sometimes educational.

Friday, April 8, 2011

Worked both dogs today

I worked Dare this morning sorting the sheep for a 10am lesson that came at 11 but I got in an hr of raking while I waited. Dare was very good and thoughtful this morning.  It always makes me think he's sick.  I had him drive  2 sheep into the corner and hold them there .  He kept pushing into them and they kept sqirting out.  He would go and get them and bring them back. Sometimes he brought them to me but I made him drive them back to the corner and told him to HOLD them which to him means walk in and make them squirt. I have to say HOLD/STOP  and hope he does.  But he did a very nice job of bringing all the sheep into the pen to be sorted. He wasn't as pushy as usual.  Gotta work that OUT,,keeps going side to side.

Dually worked the same 2 sheep but I brought them out into the big field. He does that so nicely. He is not frantic that they are getting away so they go thru the gate and he lays down and awaits my command.  Very non stressful. At first the sheep wanted to walk on my feet, but I didn't like that so Dually pushed them off of me and I made him walk around the field with the sheep at the end of my crook held out to  the side like a pointer.  It's a Jan thing and it works great. Just point where you want the sheep to go.  He at first didn't cover when they ran for the draw but he got better. I think he thinks he is not supposed to cover.  He certainly can kick it into gear when I ask. We went in both directions and by the end the sheep had stopped trying to escape from him . It was pointless. He is much faster than they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment