WELCOME

Thanks for visiting my blog. It's rather flattering to have someone read your minds meanderings. I hope it's entertaining and sometimes educational.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The last doe to kid

I was going to go with a friend to look at unholstery today but the doe started into labor at about 1:30.  I was going to meet my friend at 2 so I thought it was safe.  well at 2 in the midst of a heavy snow squall , we decided to postpone it until tomorrow also because the doe was still in labor and not producing much.  The internet said to give them an hr  of hard labor and then if nothing happens I should intervene. You are supposed to see feet coming out and I did see the " bubble" but not feet so I broke the bubble and still no feet.  I put my fingers in and still no feet.  I went back to the internet and it said put your hand in so I tried but there was not much room and she would contract against me.  I called the vet and told him what was happening and asked if I should really be able to get my hand in there. He said yes.  I hung up and tried again. This time I tried harder. I could feel the nose but no feet so I pushed and pushed and got my arm in there practically to my elbow. I got a hold of a foot and pulled it into delivery position then I had to get the other foot which was a little trickier, but I did it.  so now we were all set but she could not push this kid out.  I pulled and pulled and together we cold nto get this kid out.  I called Nat and she gave me advice over the phone but it didn'twork so she said she would stop on her way home from work . It took about an hour but then she tried and tried and tcouldn't get the kid out. We failed.  We called the vet and he was there in about 1/2 hr.  The vet pushed the feet back in to try and free up the head and he had to work very hard and pull very hard to get the kid out.  It was not easy by any stretch of the imagination.  The kid was dead.  It was a girl too Anyway he filled her up with iodine and sewed her shut so she wouldn't prolapse and we left her alone.  She was not going to get a chance to be a mom this year.
The vet said we could have used my force, but I couldn't have because I dont' know what  I am doing and Nat didn't want to tear the uterus.  Next time we will have a better idea of how to do it. And Nat has done plenty, but this was a tough one.
And now I am ready for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment