WELCOME

Thanks for visiting my blog. It's rather flattering to have someone read your minds meanderings. I hope it's entertaining and sometimes educational.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Worked Jem

Jem does not have a recall and barely knows his name so I have been working on that in the house and today I took it outside.  He's pretty sensitive so I think it will be easy to train.  He had a long line on and at first all I did was walk into the control pen where the sheep were and call him to me and then we walked up towards them and did some recalls and outs.  I finally let him go and he circled the stock as I walked to the corner and then I waited for him to stop. busy feet. When he gave me a pause, is sent him on an away because that is already his bad side.  By the end of the training he actually walked up to the sheeps rear and sniffed her.  Before this he would not come that close or would bite first and ask questions later. Don't get me wrong, he is not a tough dog like Dare, just not a comfortable dog with stock. Not secure or confident.  His go bye is much more relaxed and it's really obvious.  No problem, I can fix it.



Dually got to work inside flanks again. He was not as good as last time. I think I will change the sheep out for goats next time because the sheep get the game and keep coming out of the corner which is not what I want to happen. He got stuck a number of times today.  I sent him in to get all the ducks out of their pen to put away  for the night and he went in and held them in the back corner.  I knew he would not take a flank there so I downed him and he let the livestock get by him so they could get to the barn.  I think that is a step up.  Normally he would just hold till I went to get him.

No comments:

Post a Comment