WELCOME

Thanks for visiting my blog. It's rather flattering to have someone read your minds meanderings. I hope it's entertaining and sometimes educational.

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Oh what a day!!

It started out with a trip over to look for the sheep. drive slow and look . no luck. Tomorrow I am going to put up reward posters and see if that makes any difference. In the meantime I contacted a couple of people about buying more sheep. Neither of them answered me. Hmmmmm

Then I went to the Grand Oaks carriage museum. Fabulous museum. Beautiful carriages. Lots of interesting stuff. I cant' remember how many carriages they have but it was 150+ Most of them were beautifully restored.

And then I had lunch at the cafe at the museum and it was vey good. I had homemade beef barley soup and an odd vegetarian panini. So I went to the grocery to get stuff to go home and make beef barley soup. It came out prety good.

Just as the soup was done , it was too early to eat supper, I decided to go work cows. AFter all with no sheep here, I need to work something so I was going to bite the bullet. I gathered them all up in the holding pen which is good sized and sorted off everybody but 3 of them. 2 young calves and an older cow. One calf immediately decided not to play and was not that nice to Dually so I got rid of her and was soing to work the 2. They kept running into the alleyway so I sent the dog in to get them out twice and the 3rd time they went in, I went in to get her out and she jumped the barbed wire and left and then the young calf came over and jumped out after her. damn damn and double damn. There are no gates in this fence and I was not going to lose the cows. I crawled thru the barb wire getting caught in numerous places of course. Then I called the dog thru, The cows took off up the dirt road away from the other cows. I was not happy. I sent Dually to bring them back knowing it was 5050. He ran and they all disappeared. He came back with no cows. shit shit shit. So I tracked them and then the track disappeared. Oh geez, well it turns out they turned back towards the others. We follwed and pushed them and I called Lee and he started over because there are no gates and I did not want to attempt to push them to jump back over. I thought that would be a very bad idea. So Dually and I held them near the fenceline until Lee got there to take the fence apart and let them back in. It all went very smoothly. Then Lee asked me to drive them up to the feed bin so I started to do that and there was one cow that was under the tree and would not come out. I sent Dually in a couple of times and he could not get her out so I went to help him only to realize she has just dropped her calf. Thank goodness she didn't kill Dually protecing the calf. Didn't have time to check to see if calf was dead or alive before it got too dark. will check tomorrow. Tired now.

No comments:

Post a Comment