WELCOME

Thanks for visiting my blog. It's rather flattering to have someone read your minds meanderings. I hope it's entertaining and sometimes educational.

Friday, January 2, 2015

Training alone today

I didn't get to Rogers until after 2pm and I sorted off the billy goat to work dually in close. I had one billy goat(and they all have horns)who took a dislike to my dogs. He slammed Dually a couple of times. Made Dually mad and he got him good but not as good as Edge did later. The goats ear is little shredded now. Too bad for him, but it didn't make much of an impression.

The exercise I attempted with Dually was close and involved many panels and it was to make Dually release the livestock and still go around and maintain control. He did it a couple of times but 2 times out of 20 is not very many. I worked him later in the arena on 3 nice billys and we worked on staying on their hip and not behind them on the drive up to the panels. He is getting better. He did get into a pissing contest in one corner with the goats that of course he caused. Then I set up the center pen which was no mean feat since I was alone. I did a couple of pens but the goats were too cooperative. So I went and worked on take pens instead. Most of them were good except when I demanded an away take. He hates that. the 2d one was good after he realized I was going in there after him if he was going to be an asshole.

I worked Edgie on the closer panels too and he releases more easily so I worked on flanks, since he is good but not great on them and I need short and inside flanks for everything, but especially duckwork. He had words with bad Billy and bad billy got better. I worked on take pens with Edge since he hasnt done many. I stood on the opposite side of the gate and held my stick inside and made him come towards me on a go bye and he did a very very nice job. We worked them down the side and I pulled him out to stay on the goat hip. It's a work in progress. I had the Y chute set up when I worked him and so I had an opportunity to flank him around on the 2nd panel and stop him and get the Y chute. What I have noticed is sometimes it's hard to get him to move faster. It 's not too bad when he is bringing stock towards me , but when I want him to walk up faster, I cannnot get it "yet".

No comments:

Post a Comment