WELCOME

Thanks for visiting my blog. It's rather flattering to have someone read your minds meanderings. I hope it's entertaining and sometimes educational.

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Edgie's attitude toward the cows

Edge thinks they are something special.. When I say cows he runs to the door.  Out in the arena he runs the fenceline when we are near the cows. He will come right off if I move away.  When I ask him to stand still and face the cows , he is not too happy.  Meanwhile Dare is hanging his head thru  the fence just standing there daring them to come and sniff him.  He would like that a lot.

I grabbed Edge by the collar and made him stand with me and told him he was a good boy and the cow came up and EDge was like a striking snake. He reached out so fast I was stunned. I don't think he reached the cow but... boy was there intent.  Then today I got him to stand there for a longer time and petted  him and told him  he was a good boy trying to get him to relax a little with the cow facing him.  He got better so I guess I will so that some more.  I dont' want him to get used to bouncing and running. 

Great lessons today.  It was cool and windy and I had 7 dogs and everybody did well .  I started an aussie puppy on goats and he was a handful.  Good luck Barb.  We will do a lot more on line work with him before we let him go again I think..  We did some penning and small flank work with Betty and her dogs.  And Tracy and her Boxer worked well together and we got thru to him today. He likes to dive in when he gets in the pressure and by backing him into a corner and raising the riot act when  he does it seems to get thru to him.

 I think Dually could use more of this but I need about 5 people to catch him in the corner. He is so quick and gets by me and the tool in a heartbeat.  Looking forward to having Roger here in a few weeks and hopefully getting thru to Dually.  I couldn;t do much with him this winter because we broke him for a while and he was lame and so some training fell by the wayside.

No comments:

Post a Comment