WELCOME

Thanks for visiting my blog. It's rather flattering to have someone read your minds meanderings. I hope it's entertaining and sometimes educational.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

3 dog day

Edgie got to work sheep today and we worked again on flanks.  He doesn't like the away to me flank very much. He is much more fluid on the go bye. We worked a little on outruns too and freeing him up to move when I say go .  We also worked on driving them away from us and he seems to stay behind me quite a lot.  Need to loosen that up too.  His lie down is pretty darn good for a pup though. I think I tired him out a bit.

Dually worked cows for a while and I worked in the arena.  We had lots of trouble getting them to go up the arena on the side closest to the  barn.  They kept curving around to go across to their buddies. So I changed tactics and made him drive them up the other side and we had trouble with that too until I kept him farther off.  When he was too close the cows were able to just curve around him and go back and when he was farther off , he could catch their eye more easily and turn more than one at a time..  Gotta remember that and tomorrow I will try it on the other side.  I was beginning to think it was the cows fault--silly me.

I worked Dare on the cows and he had no trouble putting them wherever I wanted them.  It was a different grouping of cows than Dually's group. I think it was anyway. Then I stood outside the arena and I had him bring the group to me and they wanted badly to go to their buddies. Dare worked each one individually and it was really cool to just watch him work them.

No comments:

Post a Comment