WELCOME

Thanks for visiting my blog. It's rather flattering to have someone read your minds meanderings. I hope it's entertaining and sometimes educational.

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Kissimmee Valley Fair

Today I went to the local fair. It lasts at least a week and is a big deal around here. Lots of kids involved in 4 H and FFA and other aggie orgs. I can't tell you how many women/girls I saw in camo walking around.  Hunting is really big around here too.

I made a special effort to go and see a steer that was raised by Clayton.  I didn't see him show it, but I saw it in the stall.  There was only one barn with cattle,sheep,goats and that was it. No horses in that barn, but they have a rodeo every night so there must be another barn.

I stayed to watch some juniors show their livestock.  There was one girl I could not take my eyes off of because she was so bizarre .  I know they are supposed to smile but she was off the grid and she had this walk that was bouncy,slinky and just plain odd.  I watched her off the show floor and she didn't do it when she wasn't showing.  Anyway, I first saw her on lambs and then watched when she showed a hog.  The hog was trotting down the arena and she was still smiling with her head cranked at the judge and bouncing along and the hog was like nowhere to be seen. This girl kept ending up 20 ft behind the hog because she spent so much time smiling at the judge.. It was bizarre. I wish I had a video of that, but I only got a video of them showing the goats. I'll try and load it. THen they showed goats and there was one goat that didnt' want to play and the girls had to drag this bleating crying stupid thing around the arena.  It actually laid down once and tried to quit and a man came in to help the girl and keep it moving. funny stuff.

 


NAUGHTY GOAT!

The hogs were extremely entertaining. All the wanted to do was kill each other.  There were 4 girls showing these 4 hogs and there were 7 men with 7 hog boards running interference for them in the middle of the show. It was hugely entertaining. The hogs would occasionally get by their "handlers" and start a big fight and 5 guys with boards would be jumping in to try and get them apart.   I really enjoyed that part of the show.

One little girl(about 9) got dragged off by a steer.  She was fine and  the show went on.  She let go of the line and the steer ran around by himself for a little while.

I also need to mention the amount of children in the show ring with huge fancy buckles that they won at some point for showing their livestock.  Little kids with big expensive buckles.  I know because I have been trying to win a buckle in herding for years and yet to get my first buckle. THere is one out there for me somewhere. 



I liked these 2 quilts especially the penguin but the other one was notable for the amount of work in it. 







Beautiful needlework


2 comments:

  1. Wish I could have seen the hog fight, I mean show. That sounds like it was hysterical to watch. Any video?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was mesmerized first by the hog fight and then by the girls showing livestock. It was an entertaining afternoon.

      Delete