WELCOME

Thanks for visiting my blog. It's rather flattering to have someone read your minds meanderings. I hope it's entertaining and sometimes educational.

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Goat kids

I had my first set of goat kids twins born last night about 5pm. I did not go out early to put the sheep in the barn and I waited to go out in a minor snow storm. Dare and I struggled to get them in but they couldn't see Dare so did not go where he asked.  Anyway while we are out there flailing around and almost have them In I here some little animal crying way back near the arena.  I had all the lambs up near the barn and I thought I had all the goats but I guess I didn't count. I put Dare away and went back there to find 2 new baby kids.  I grabbed them up and got the mama to follow me very slowly back to the barn.  I put her in the stall with the kids.  They were still a little wet and seemed cold and not all that responsive, but what do I know about goats?  I rearranged the heat lamp over them and left them for a while. I came back out numerous times to check them. I added more straw , I lowered the heat lamp, but  what I was watching for was nursing. Finally I saw one of them nurse and I decided to tube feed the other on because I really had no idea. Their mouths were not as warm as I would like so I tubed them.  I thought I was giving them a good drink but this morning when I looked at how much I was supposed to give them, I barely gave them a sip.  I even brought one inside to warm it in front of the stove and then back out into the cold again.

I worried about the little suckers all night so when I woke up at 1:30 I went out to check them and again only saw one nursing so I brought the other inside and warmed it for an hour and tubed it again  and back out again.  Tired, this morning but I went out to check and no real change , they  are just kinda lying around not too active.  And the ewes teat was swollen and had not been nursed on.  So ai called Nat to come and check them out.  The came this afternoon and milked the ewe out again and told me what would probably happen in the next couple of days and reassured me the kids tummy were full of milk so they must be both nursing on the same teat. (when I am not looking). I made little coats for them and I brought them both in and warmed them by the stove today.  I went to tractore supply to get a digital thermometer and took their temps.  They were both about 101 and normal is 102 to 104.  I got one up to  103 and the other up to 102.7.  THey will be fine.

I called on a round pen today in Spencer and went over and bought it this afternoon. Waiting to hear from them to see if they can find somebody to deliver it for me.  Hope so , I hate to try and got get it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment