WELCOME

Thanks for visiting my blog. It's rather flattering to have someone read your minds meanderings. I hope it's entertaining and sometimes educational.

Monday, April 16, 2012

Worked the calves

   Even though this think with Mikey is ongoing, Jan was here until  noon so we dog broke the calves.  We moved them into the control pen and then I worked Dually first. He won't stay in the pressure so Jan and I held him in there with rakes and he did get better.  We flanked him into the corner to the fence(kiss the fence) and then down.  the calves moved off and so we reflanked to the heads and kiss the fence and down. It's the kiss the fence part that is so important. Dually kind of blows up if the calf faces him. He has to learn to take that  pressure.

Dare did the same exercise and was better at it.  But he still needs to kiss the fence.  Once the calf got to the middle and I asked him to walk up on it to put it back out into the next pen and it just stood there. Dare stood his ground for 30 secs and I waited and then he just bit the hock and the calf kicked at him and he just ducked sideways and it missed him, but he never moved his feet and then the calf moved . It was cool.  What I didnt' like is  how high on the hock he bit, but I don't have any control over that.

And then we worked B course ducks.  I worked on a shed with Dare and that will take more work. much more work.  but I entered B course ADv ducks at the end of May. Better get cracking.   Dually went out and dove straight thru the middle of them.  Aghhhh

Kathy worked Tru out there and lost 2 ducks into the wood thru the fence. Dare got one back but the other eventually made her way back to the duck pen by the house.  Hmmm I guess Kathy needs some work.

Jan and I left early for her 4pm flight and stopped at Sadie Greens where I got a watch and a hat and Jan got some hair pins.  very fancy.

The AC in the car didn't work and it was 92 by the time we got to the airport.  Yikes.   We stopped at Reins Deli for lunch --it was good.



And then I took Mikey for a walk out back into the arena and near the cows.  He wandered around a bit and then we came back to the barn and I filled up the kiddie pool and he got in. Peaches knocked him down but he was able to get back up again. He loves the kiddie pool.  Later on we went back to the front yard and I took some pictures. About 7pm Tim showed up with his backhoe and dug a nice hole near Ebony. I plan to bury Mikey with Piper and Molly's ashes and maybe Mom and Dad's all next to Ebony. They can keep each other company while they wait for me.

1 comment:

  1. I like that he is near the house. I get it.

    You would think that someone that loves ducks like I do would do better working them

    I'll get there, Thank goodness Ben is so patient and forgiving with me and Tru, well Tru kinda makes it easy

    ReplyDelete