WELCOME

Thanks for visiting my blog. It's rather flattering to have someone read your minds meanderings. I hope it's entertaining and sometimes educational.

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Worked MY dogs

   No lessons today so I took advantage of the extra energy and sorted some sheep and took them out back to work Dare and Dually.

Dare first(Dare is always first) Why is that you ask?  I love a challenge.   I wanted to work on something that I had never done before so I set up cones about 30ft apart in the middle of the arena in a line.  The object was to  drive the sheep in a serpentine away from me  and then flank dog around and fetch them back in a serpentine.  Dare had big holes.  He would not could not take his flanks that far away from me.  Interesting.  He is such a control freak that he is sure I am always wrong.  It got better but I had to move up closer and insist on his flanks.  I was really surprised that we could not make the first cone on the fetch back towards me. The sheep took off and he could not flank fast enough to catch them.  I think perhaps my timing was off or he was flanking too wide or both.  He as very tired when we were done.  There was a lot of running by him not the sheep so much.

That exercise is a little advanced for Dually so I had him gather them first and present them to me. He is good at that. He doesn't like to push them over the top of me. Sometimes he stops too early.  And then we drove them away and he is really good at that. He just walks straight at them and he does adjust his line.  He never even thought about diving in today.  Must mean we are getting better. I did a little bit of inside flanking but they aren't very square and that will really hurt me in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment